Median annual salary: $110,500
Is Medical and Health Services Manager one of the fastest growing jobs?
Medical and Health Services Managers is one of my top picks for best future careers, because it is high paying, with high job satisfaction and currently it is the eighth fastest growing job in the US. More than 80 percent of Medical and Health Services Managers are both satisfied with their job and find their job meaningful. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Medical and Health Services Managers is projected to grow 32.5 percent from 2020 to 2030. They also project there will be an average of 51,800 vacancies for Medical and Health Services Managers each year between 2020 and 2030. Learn more about this role and what are the Medical and Health Services Managers Requirements.
Medical and Health Services Managers have various roles and job titles, depending on their speciality including Healthcare Executives, Healthcare Administrators, Nursing Home Administrators, Clinical Managers and Health Information Managers.
What is the Salary of Medical and Health Services Managers?
The median annual wage for Medical and Health Services Managers was $110,500. Salaries range from $60,000 to more than $209,300 based on experience, training, specific role, speciality and location.
What Do Medical and Health Services Managers do?
Medical and Health Services Managers oversee and manage medical and health services for medical practices, a particular clinical department or even an entire service or center. They are responsible for:
- Ensuring the service, department or center they are working for are compliant with current laws and regulations.
- Improving the quality, proficiency, and effectiveness of the healthcare services they oversee and then developing goals, objectives and action plans to improve services.
- Overseeing budgets, payments and finances of services or centres
- Managing staff, staff training, staff rotas and recruitment
- Reporting to governing boards and investors.
- Working closely with healthcare workers in various roles and levels including surgeons, doctors, nurses, technicians and more.
What are the Medical and Health Services Managers Requirements?
Most employers and many states require Medical and Health Services managers to at least complete a state approved training program and to have a bachelor’s degree in Health Administration, Nursing or Public Policy and Social Services. However, many employers prefer master’s degrees. Students often carry out a one-year placement in a healthcare or hospital setting within their 2 to 3 year master’s degree program. Most Medical and Health Services Managers have prior experience as a nurse, financial clerk, administrative assistant, medical records and health information technician or similar prior to promotion into this role.
Nursing Home Administrators must be licensed in all US states. This generally means they need to pass a national licensing exam and in some cases need to additionally pass a state specific exam.
Medical and Health Services managers can seek certification in the following specialities:
- ‘Medical Management’ certification through The Professional Association of Health Care Office Management
- ‘Health Information Management’ certification through the American Health Information Management Association
- ‘Certified Nursing Home Administrator’ and ‘Certified Assisted Living Administrator’ through the American College of Health Care Administrator
These are the Medical and Health Services Managers Requirements.
Medical and Health Services Managers is an excellent career choice for the future because it is currently the eighth fastest growing career, so it is an excellent career to consider for 2022 and for many years into the future. Based on my professional expertise in careers, employment, learning and skills and extraction of solid research from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics I have been able to extract and summarize key information for you to help you to learn more about a career as a Medical and Health Services Manager. I hope this blog helped you to discover and explore a job as a Medical and Health Services Manager as a potential career choice. To learn more and see all my recommendations for Best Future Careers, read my blog article now!